Chambres hôtes gîtes Bed and Breakfast abbaye Valmagne Pézenas 34

Le Domaine

It was at Fabrègues in 1175, that the Templars came to settle Launac. Templars settled in part on lands of the parish of Mujolan given by the Bishop of Maguelone. Their house still exists Chapel (Old Launac). They tied them to clean the pond Coculle. They dug a channel: called "The Templar Capoulière" to sell pestilentielle water from the pond to the stream of "Garelle. The reclaimed land became available to agriculture. The Templars Launac engaged primarily in the culture, but they also met in the vicinity of monitoring missions and stewardship. The Commandery has emerged in the twelfth century through to the Knights Templar. Rebuilt in the XIV ° Hospitaliers, it took its final form to the sixteenth and seventeenth. Alternately templar house and property of the Knights of Malta, it was sold as national property during the Revolution.

The Commanderie

The name of Launac come from a man name + suffix gaulois: acum.
It would be a great agricultural area (name of man: Launus) While in the middle was a large lake called the lake of Coculse.
There is very strong this Launac depression among the old; Launac St Andrew and the area of La Barthe. Various documents show next to the pond, a barn (or farm) of Granouilleres. That is about in 1175 that the Templars arrived to settle Launac Maguelone of Bishops gave their land in the parish of St. Médard Maguelone for dépaissance herds. The commander of Launac depended on the Commandery of St. Gilles (Gard).

It was essentially an agricultural property. The Templars will see immediately the interest they would have to drain the pond both in terms of public health and culture. So they began this great work with the simple average of the time, ie the strength of the wrists. They dug a big trench to drain the water into the nearby creek Garelle The trench gate in this country the name of the Templars Capouillère (capouillère patois cap head - stream head which collects more). So they put this huge value in depression once mare pestilentielle
We know the famous trial of King Philip the Fair to the Templars and the condemnation by Pope Clement V. In the famous night of 13 October 1308 the Templars were arrested throughout France. Some managed to flee, others imprisoned and sometimes after summary trial condemned to the stake as was the case of the Grand Master of the Order Jacques de Molay, which assigns the king and the pope to the court of God for the current year. The king seized the property of the order, mainly money. What happened to the Templars Launac in particular we do not know. But their land as most of the property passed to the Knights of St John of Jerusalem, or Order of Malta.

The chapel seems Launac represent the characteristics of the architecture of XII century. The vault has a bizarre sculpture to 21 elements, is a figure of the cross of St Andrew, patron of the chapel and the house of Launaea? According to the historian of canon Segossdi Maguelone Diocese of the Templars had founded the church and the parish of St. Andrew of the work of the church of St Jean des Claps The cross of St Andrew and his famous formula: By this sign you Avain, written in Greek, was on one side of the building. The Capouillère cut the road (old road Montpellier Pezenas) up to the area of St Andrew. Passage under the road has required a very careful, unfortunately since the repair work it is no longer visible. During this repair engineers were struck by the regularity up to the slope for drainage and said: Today we would not be better. Thus the Templars Capoullière any trimmed raoulets (small streams) carry on the plains of Launaea honor and benefit of these monks soldiers that men have a little forgotten. Thus the Knights of St John of St John of Jerusalem, or Order of Malta remained owners of the premises until the revolution. In 1792, this beautiful property was sold as national bin. It included between cropland and grassland 500 hectares. It was first divided into five batches acquits by almost all traders Montpellier (Bazille - Landon - Cambon - Besard - Hue). In spring 1794 will be installed on the land for a camp for military instruction which should provide the army of the Pyrenees by General Dugommier. The various farms around were occupied for the purposes of the camp. Launaea of the Templars (known as Launaea old) was occupied by a bakery. The camp was lifted in September 1794 because the very undisciplined recruits caused many disturbances in the vicinity. At the time of the revolution, there were eleven Launac shepherds to the flock.
Thereafter the field was split into many plots.

The Historian of the village.